Thank You

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Hey Guys,

Recently, I watched a video that appeared under My Recommended on YouTube that was titled, "A Tribute to Minecraft". Despite having grown out of playing Minecraft daily, I decided to watch the video. The video was deep, despite the content being about Minecraft and the occasional humor. A few things I took from the video are how beautiful the concept of the game of Minecraft is, and how that game essentially defines some period of many peoples lives. By the way, anyone reading this is right in asking themselves why I may be taking something as childish as Minecraft and trying to over analyze the hell out of it. But in all seriousness, what the narrator of the video said is right in my eyes; Minecraft and all the things it creates are beautiful.

Going with the notion of Minecraft being a beautiful concept, I want to reference a short period of the video where the narrator admits how he cried while exploring a world that hadn't been logged onto in half a decade. The narrator made the distinction that the tears were not out of sadness, but rather out of a sense of being sent back to a period of less responsibility and greater innocence. This made me think back to my days of logging onto Shock daily and playing with you guys. I was in 7th grade at the time when I started. He also explains how hearing Sweden caused him to start to cry. I agree that one of my favorite parts of the ever changing Minecraft is the music that stays the same no matter how many months may elapse between the last time I logged on.

Next, when talking about how Minecraft defines some period of many people's lives, I want to start by thanking you guys. As I said on an earlier post on here, I have been in this community for (going on) 5 years. When thinking back to the interactions I had on SkyRealms, the banter and jokes in The Mine, the rounds of Invasion, the final assembly in the lobby as Shock Network shut down for good, the late night Skype chats ranging from joking around to serious discussion, sneaking calls when my parents weren't home, the creation of friendships, the seeing off of friends, I can't help but feel just as emotional as the narrator did in his video. Moreover, I can't help but feel thankful to the people who contributed to that era in my life, to the people I have laughed with, felt sorrow with, and have shared experiences with for a good part of a few years. I see the lasting friendships that were created in this community as a defining part of my past. I see the lasting friendships created here as the music in Minecraft; it doesn't change no matter how long it may be since we have last talked.

As I said earlier, we have seen some people off. Some people have straight up stopped being present in the community for one reason or another. Some people have marked their departures with forum posts thanking their friends and reflecting on their experience with the community. One of our dear friend's presence in this community was cut short by her tragic passing. I would be lying if I said that I don't feel a pang of sadness when thinking back to the days when we all talked frequently; to the days where innocence was more abundant. But, it is important to remember not to cry because it is over, but to smile because it happened. Despite that being a cliche, I still think it is a valuable piece of advice.

To close, I want to again thank everyone so very much for everything. Words cannot describe. This isn't me marking any kind of departure, but I felt it was necessary for me to share my rambling thoughts with you guys. I think a great closing statement would be to cherish the little and simple things in the present. It is those little things that can give us the necessary breaks from the stresses and pressures of life. Those things also provide opportunities to reflect on the past in ways more meaningful than they seemed when you lived it. Thanks again, and God bless.

-Matt

Here is a link to the video:

Jory

Regular
Apr 29, 2017
Hanamura
Lowkey had a good cry session reading through this. I still miss the game, community, and 'server culture'. It was a truly incredible experience. Not knowing if I'll ever have anything like it again scares me. I feel so grateful to have been a part of the server. I don't know if people understand how much of a positive impact they've had. Thank you.

Last edited:
May 1, 2017
Saga
unknownkoi145.wixsite.com
This got me on the brink of tears. Thinking back as far as 2015 and how much I enjoyed Shock and being part of its community, its easily the best thing I've experienced in Minecraft in the now 5yrs and almost a month since I first played it.
Going off on a tangent that feeds back into the subject of this thread, irl in 2018 I feel like I failed to be myself, alot more quiet, w/ less of the immaturity, randomness and lewdness of my personality that I was popular at school for, on the course at college I started in September, others on it thought I was a stalker, but I had to explain that I just didn't want to be alone every lunchtime. Tbh I still don't feel close to any of them and two of them (I'm one of six ppl on the course) don't want me hanging out w/ them at break. I feel closer to ppl from the course I was on before, and until reading this thread, I kinda forgot how close I am (imo) to the ppl in this community, ppl who feel like a family to me, especially when it comes to gaming.
As a result, even when its just a memory of a time long gone to me, mc will have a special place in my heart, as w/o it, I wouldn't have been a part of this community w/ ppl I hope I'll be able to have contact w/ for the rest of my life.
To everyone in this community today, even tho we may have had beef in the past, ily.
As a rly close friend.

Apr 29, 2017
hell
www.instagram.com
It's not often that a post catches my attention and makes me want to share my part, but god, this post sure as hell did.
My Minecraft experience was probably a lot different from yours. In 2014-2015 Minecraft became more of a lifestyle than a way to pass the time for me. There's uh, really nothing wrong with that, but it differentiates the memories I had from yours. Y'know I never really thought of the impact the people I met through Shock had on me, but it's a lot more than I assumed from first glance. I remember coming home from school and eagerly getting on the family computer to play Minecraft with my friends, and how I'd be up until 5AM talking to someone who lived halfway around the world. (some things never change;; ) It saddens me when I see videos or posts in my feed dedicated to the legacy of Minecraft because deep down, I really don't want it to be over.
I continue to peek in on this forum site only because its filled with some of the greatest people I've ever known, regardless if they still post or not. Everyone on this site has greatly influenced my life and the person I continue to grow up as thank you all so much.